Skip to content


Your Right to Opt Out

You may opt out of Petfinder Foundation e-mail newsletters by clicking on the unsubscribe link within the newsletter or by clicking here. (Read our privacy policy.)

Petfinder Foundation State Filings

ALABAMA: This charity is registered with the Office of the Alabama Attorney General, P.O. Box 300152, Montgomery, Alabama.

 ALASKA: Alaska law requires charitable organizations to register with the Alaska Department of Law prior to soliciting contributions of money or property in Alaska. Inquiries may be made at State of Alaska,  Department of Law,  Attorney General’s Office, 1031 W. 4th Avenue, Suite 200, Anchorage, Alaska 99501; Phone: (907) 269-5200 or (888) 576-2529; e-mail: [email protected].

ARKANSAS: All charities that solicit donations in Arkansas must register and file annual informational returns with the Arkansas Attorney General. You may search the database of registered charities here.

CALIFORNIA: You may search the Attorney General’s website here.

COLORADO: Charities that solicit contributions in Colorado are required to register online with the Colorado Secretary of State. The Charities and Fundraisers Registration program provides complete public access to these registration documents here.

FLORIDA: The Solicitation of Contributions Act requires anyone who solicits donations from people in the state of Florida, including charitable organizations, to register with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. The Department provides financial disclosure regarding organizations on the online Gift Givers’ Guide or you can obtain information about a specific charity by calling our Consumer Assistance Call Center at 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352), or out of state (850) 410-3800.

GEORGIA: The Georgia Secretary of State regulates charitable organizations operating within the state. All charitable organizations are required to register with the Secretary of State unless exempted by law. You can search the Secretary of State’s database for registered charities here.

ILLINOIS: The State of Illinois maintains a list of public charities and private foundations which are registered with the Attorney General’s Office and in compliance with the reporting requirements imposed upon them by Illinois law. If you want to obtain copies of this charity’s registration statements and/or prior financial reports filed with Illinois, you may request them by writing to the “Office of the Attorney General, Charitable Trust Bureau, 100 West Randolph Street, Chicago, IL 60601.

KANSAS: Kansas law requires charitable organizations, as defined in K.S.A. 17-1760, to register with the Secretary of State’s office prior to soliciting. The website allows you to determine whether a charitable organization is registered with our office.

LOUISIANA: All charitable organizations are required to register with the Louisiana Secretary of State. Inquiries may be made here.

MARYLAND: For the cost of postage you may order copies from the Maryland Secretary of State, State House, Annapolis, MD 21401, or call 410-974-5534 or 1-800-825-4510.

MASSACHUSETTS Massachusetts law requires all public charities operating in Massachusetts to register and file annual reports with the Attorney General’s Office Non-Profit Organizations/Public Charities Division. The Attorney General’s Public Charities Annual Filing website allows you to search for and access the annual reports of public charities filed with the AGO.

MICHIGAN: You may view a list of charities that currently are registered to solicit donations in Michigan here. Registration is not an endorsement.

MINNESOTA: The organizations in this database are registered with the Charities Division of the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office. Registration does not constitute approval by the Attorney General or by the State of Minnesota. If you wish to seek more detailed and comprehensive financial information, or if you wish to view the documents filed with the Attorney General, contact the Charities Division at 445 Minnesota St., Suite 1200 Bremer Tower, St. Paul, MN 55101-2130.

MISSISSIPPI: The Securities and Charities Division of the Secretary of State’s Office is responsible for the registration and regulation of all charitable organizations and fundraisers who solicit contributions in Mississippi. To search the financial information of your charity on our website, click here. 

MISSOURI: Most charitable organizations are required by Missouri statute to register with the Attorney General’s Office before soliciting for donations in Missouri. You may check for a registered charity in Missouri here.

NEW HAMPSHIRE: New Hampshire law requires all any out-of-state charities planning to solicit donations from New Hampshire citizens to register with and report to the Attorney General. A list of registered charities may be found here.

NEW MEXICO: The Office of the New Mexico Attorney General oversees charities (except for religious and educational organizations) that exist, operate or solicit contributions in this state. You may search New Mexico Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Organizations for a charitable organization here.

NEW JERSEY: Information filed with the Attorney General concerning this charitable solicitation and the percentage of contributions received by the charity during the last reporting period that were dedicated to the charitable purpose may be obtained from the attorney general of the state of New Jersey by calling 973-504-6215. Registration with the attorney general does not imply endorsement.

NEW YORK: upon request, a copy of the latest annual report can be obtained from the organization or from the Office of the Attorney General, Department of Law, Charities Bureau, Attn: FOIL Officer, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271.

NORTH CAROLINA: Generally, any organization or person that intends to directly solicit contributions in North Carolina, or intends to hire a person or business to solicit contributions in North Carolina, must first obtain an appropriate license from Charitable Solicitation Licensing Section of the North Carolina Department of State. An online registry of licensed organizations can be found here.

NORTH DAKOTA: Information concerning charitable organizations registered in North Dakota may be found here.

OHIO: Ohio requires charitable organizations and groups that ask Ohioans for contributions to file annual reports with the Attorney General’s Office. These filings are public and contribute to accountability and transparency within the charitable sector. You may search the Attorney General’s online database to find charitable organizations registered in Ohio.

OKLAHOMA: The Oklahoma Secretary of State’s Charitable Organizations Search Page provides you with a preliminary search for a charity.

OREGON: The Oregon Department of Justice Charitable Activities Section supervises and regulates the activities of charitable organizations in Oregon and maintains a searchable database of registered charities.

PENNSYLVANIA: The official registration and financial information for the Petfinder Foundation may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of state by calling toll free, within Pennsylvania, 1-800-732-0999. Registration does not imply endorsement.

RHODE ISLAND: The Department of Rhode Island Department of Business Regulation is responsible for the registration of charitable and fund-raising groups. You may request public records concerning charities registered with the Department by contacting the Securities Division by email at [email protected] or by mail at Public Records Officer, Department of Business Regulation, 1511 Pontiac Avenue, Cranston, RI 02920.

SOUTH CAROLINA: The Division of Public Charities regulates charitable organizations pursuant to the “Solicitation of Charitable Funds Act.” The division maintains an online searchable database of registered charities’ financial information.

TENNESSEE: The Charitable Solicitations Act requires that charitable organizations which solicit contributions directly or indirectly from, or within, the State of Tennessee to register with the Division of Charitable Solicitations and Gaming, unless exempt from the registration requirements of the division. The division maintains an online database of registered charities and financial reports.

UTAH: Unless exempted from registration under the statute, (see Utah Code Ann. § 13-22-8 for a list of exemptions), a charity must register with the Utah Division of Consumer Protection and file annual reports to be allowed to solicit charitable contributions in the state.

VIRGINIA: You may search the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Office of Charitable and Regulatory Programs database of registered charities here.

WASHINGTON: Organizations that fundraise in the state of Washington for charitable purposes are required to register with the Secretary of State’s Charities Program.  Registration does not constitute approval by the Secretary of State or by the state of Washington. You may search the Charities Program’s database of registered charities.

WEST VIRGINIA: Persons or organizations who intend to solicit the public for contributions for charitable purposes in West Virginia are required to register with the Secretary of State Charitable Organizations Division, unless the organization is exempt. You may conduct a charitable organization search here.

WISCONSIN: Unless exempted from registration under the statute, a charity must register with the Department of Financial Institutions and file annual reports to be allowed to solicit charitable contributions in the state.  Information concerning registered charities may be obtained from the Department by contacting: P.O. Box 7876, Madison, WI 53707-7876; telephone: (608) 267-1711; fax: (608) 267-6889